Output from a one week project. The task was to browse the Instructables website for something we were inspired by and then create our own response to it. I liked the concept of this chess set and sought to improve upon it by designing my own chess pieces. I wanted the pieces to have elements of the traditional pieces but with a modernist and simple approach. I used an arched curve throughout the design to act as a motif to unite the pieces and make them look like a set. Finally, I wanted all the pieces to be easily recognisable for what they are, while also being distinct from each other.
I improved upon the original design by using mixed materials, using inversed acrylic and MDF as the traditional black versus white. The checkers/draughts also reflect the innovative inverse design, but are hexagonal in form.
Finally, the board also doubles as a drawer to house the pieces.
The finished Instructable can be found here:
My output from a three week project exploring Skin & Bones. I wanted to work in the sculpture room since I started at UCA, so I was really excited to take up the challenge of making a candle in the shape of a hand. Not only that, but I wanted to make it in the style of a candelabra, with the wicks coming out of the fingertips, thread through into the hand and down the wrist.
Firstly, I used alginate to make a mould from a model's hand, then made replica hand in plaster. Next, I used silicon to make a thick mould around the plaster hand. Once set, I made a plaster mould around the outside to support the silicon. After the moulds were split and the original plaster hand retrieved, I melted wax and made a thin skin by pouring it in and out the mould several times. I then carefully removed the hand, drilled through the fingertips and threaded the wicks. I then put the hand back into the silicon mould, making sure the wicks didn't get unthreaded. Unfortunately, at this point the two smallest fingers snapped off(!) but I hoped it could be mended by putting the hand back together in the mould and pouring in the rest of the wax. Once the wax was cool, I cracked the mould to free the candle. At this point it was clear that I had accidentally trapped a loop of wick on the outside of the hand from where one of the fingers snapped off.
This was a very challenging make but I'm pleased with the outcome. I learnt new skills and had the opportunity to work with new materials.
This one week project focused on the production of models, maquettes and prototypes.
- Corrugated cardboard
- Paper tubing
Maquettes for my ten week Final Major Project at UCA Canterbury. As a response to the Japanese term 'Mono No Aware', I wanted to make a modern styled folding screen. These maquettes are from the design and development stage. During this phase I wanted to experiment freely with shapes, processes and materials.
Wooden coffee stirrers
Wooden lollypop sticks
This is the output of a one week project where the brief was to repair broken and found items from the streets of Amsterdam. I fished a stainless steel flask top out of a skip near the Red Light District and decided to make it into a unique coffee cup and saucer. I fitted a clear acrylic bottom into the coffee cup, influenced by traditional glass bottomed tankards. In the same way, an acrylic bottom is fitted into the oak saucer. A map of Amsterdam has been transferred onto the body of the cup in commemoration of where the item was found.
- Stainless steel
- Wood turning
- Water slide decal application
This jewellery set is the result of a 6 month coursework project for A2 Design and Technology. The project brief was to design a set of jewellery for a client. Influenced by the Sex Pistols album 'Never Mind the Bollocks' I created a bangle, bracelet and necklace using Royal-themed motifs and 70's/80's inspired neon colours.
- 3D printing
- Laser cutting
- Finger knitting
- Sublimation printing
A number of mixed media sketches from my visit to the Hunterian Museum and the Grant Museum of Zoology.
This lamp was the output of a one week project called Play All Day. The brief was to re-imagine a childhood toy and I responded to the brief by re-purposing my old clarinet into a steampunk styled lamp. The base is solid turned oak and has been fitted with an Edison squirrel cage bulb. the lamp has been finished with a retro in line dimmer switch.
- Wood turning
This is the output of a three week project on geometry. Working with the theme of multiples, I designed a coffee table which is meant to tessellate with itself to create flexible and responsive surfaces. I was also interested in working with mixed and varied materials which have similar properties. Cork and silicone are have heat resistant properties and in 1mm sheets they top the coffee table eliminating the need for coasters.
This is the outcome of a two week project which sought to create a portable shelter. It shields the user whilst cycling in the rain, and can be left on the bike once at the destination to keep the seat and handlebars dry. It can be rolled up and stored in a linen bag which can be worn on the user's back.
- Sheet PVC
Photo credit Elina Hadjinicola
Modelled by myself
My sketchbook recording my visit to the Charles and Ray Eames exhibition at the Bardbican.
The output of a one week project exploring the theme of cause and effect. I worked in a team with four other student artists where I contributed to designing, problem solving and manufacturing key elements of the structure.
Sketchbooks which record the events of my five day trip to Amsterdam in October 2015. Designed in the style of well known maps and guidebooks from England and the Netherlands.
Two week knit project. Knit and purl scarf made with 10 gauge needles with navy and silver wool in a gradient pattern
- Polyester wool
- Purl and knit